The Internet has become one of the most resource-intensive tools of acquiring knowledge since developments in global technology. The Internet provides students with the option of E-learning.
Most Western countries have used this development to improve the education system. But what about the Arab countries? Have these countries take advantage of technological development in distance education? Let us know about E-learning in the Arab countries, especially in Saudi Arabia, which is one of the first countries to implement the distance learning system.
Corona and Online Learning
Has the Corona pandemic negatively affected all sectors? We can say that it has already affected all sectors, but this ordeal has led to a grant, which is the option of online learning in Saudi Arabia, which has become an innovative new learning pattern while maintaining people’s health and safety.
E-learning has become developed in Saudi Arabia, as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has the highest percentage of digitization in the education sector, as a result of the interest in education in Saudi Arabia, which is one of the most important aspects of the community.
The most important reasons for the advancement of Saudi universities’ E-learning:
- Online learning in Saudi universities as part of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 plan.
- Saudi society is moving around electronics, so the students can learn from distance learning simply and easily.
- Saudi Universities provide all the technological and technical capabilities to successfully complete the distance learning process.
- Saudi Universities set up specialized distance education programs for students to keep pace with advanced international universities.
Advantages of distance education in Saudi Arabia
- The possibility of studying in any university without spatial or temporal restrictions by providing an educational method that avoids citizens the hassle of moving from far away.
- Following international standards in obtaining data and information by simulating advanced foreign systems.
- In many cases, university professors in some universities were scarce, and this problem is solved by online study in Saudi universities.
- Providing multiple electronic educational resources, by supporting universities using this method with techniques and technologies that are effective in this type of education; To keep abreast of global developments.
E-learning Statistics in Saudi Arabia
- The number of internet users in Saudi Arabia increased from 7.7 million in 2008 to 21.6 million in 2015.
- The Saudi government spends between a quarter and a third of its budget on education annually.
- The university virtual platforms contain 1,400,421 content covering all courses.
- There are 993,000 active accounts on university platforms in the Kingdom.
- There are over 6 million visits to university platforms in the Kingdom.
- More than 1.5 million online reviews on public and private university platforms.
- More than 3 million “remote” educational minutes were provided by Qassim University within 30 days.
Saudi Digital Library
It is part of the Ministry of Education and its objective is to support e-learning. The Saudi Digital Library is currently the largest digital library in the Arab world, as there are more than 310,000 digital books on their official website. The library provides information resources and services through the digital library portal, and thus meets the needs of both students and faculty members in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Education in Saudi Arabia is a high priority and occupies between a quarter and a third of the government budget every year. In Saudi Arabia, there are many universities, whether governmental or private, distributed throughout the country.
E-learning Universities in Saudi Arabia
Education is a high priority in Saudi Arabia and occupies between a quarter and a third of the government budget each year. In Saudi Arabia, there are a large number of universities, whether governmental or private, distributed throughout the country.
Education is a high priority in Saudi Arabia, with government budgets ranging from one-fourth and a third every year. A large number of universities in Saudi Arabia are distributed across Saudi Arabia, whether governmentally or privately.
Saudi Electronic University
the Saudi Electronic University (SEU) is committed to delivering most of its activities online. The University was established in 2011, in the capital city, Riyadh and it now has ten campuses in different cities in Saudi Arabia.
The university provides programs for undergraduate (bachelor degree) and postgraduate (master degree) qualifications, for both male and female students.
The university provided 6 bachelor programs and 3 master programs, mainly in administration and finance; computing and information technology; health sciences, and art.
Tabuk University via E-learning
Tabuk University (distance education) is one of the new services provided by the university; Through this, the specialization to be studied can be learned online, and the University of Tabuk is among the most famous universities in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which aims to become an important reference point in the provision of knowledge and various disciplines.
King Abdulaziz University is one of the leading universities in E-learning and distance education system, as the university has achieved leadership in that system so that university students have the blackboard system, online teaching and evaluation, distance learning lessons, as well as exams, and study materials remotely, through the majors offered by the students, and they are:
- Administration science.
- English language.
- Public Administration.
- Management information systems.
- Health Services and Hospitals Department.
Imam Abdul Rahman bin Faisal University
It is one of the accredited universities in the Kingdom for distance education with the latest technology. In 2010, the university set up an E-learning system, and among the university’s specializations available through the distance education system are the following:
- Islamic studies.
- Business Management.
Imam Muhammad Bin Saud Islamic University
Imam Muhammad bin Saud Islamic University is distinguished by its e-learning system that it provides to university students. The student can enroll in the following scientific specializations available through online education:
- Sharia College.
- College of Economics and Administrative Sciences.
- College of Fundamentals of Religion.
- College of Arabic Language.
Educational Platforms in Saudi Arabia
We cannot mention online learning in Saudi Arabia and ignore the role of university platforms that played a key role in facilitating the educational process during the Corona pandemic, including:
E-learning system Blackboard
It is one of the most famous and strongest e-learning systems implemented by Jazan University following the spread of the Coronavirus. It provides educational services such as announcements and instant communication between professors and students, online tests, online discussions and assignments, and the possibility of providing the student with various learning resources.
It is one of the online education systems in Saudi Arabia, and Al-Baha University did it after the new Coronavirus spread. The university had developed a plan that included creating virtual sessions through the Rafid program for all university classes of various grades, in addition to organizing remote training workshops for all faculty members, and a technical team that receives applications and inquiries, morning and evening, seven days a week.