An academic degree is a certificate obtained by students after completing certain levels of education. However, there are many and different types of certificates and degrees depending on the method of study and the certificate that will be obtained, including diploma, bachelor’s, masters, and doctoral degrees. It may take two to eight years to obtain any of these degrees, depending on the degree level and specialization you choose.
In this article, we will review various types of university degrees obtained by students.
What are the academic degrees in order?
The certificates accredited by universities and granted to their students include diplomas, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. The following is an academic degrees list:
This certificate is considered the least of the university certificates in terms of curricula and the study duration required to get the degree, which is two years. The fields of diploma vary between a diploma in science, a diploma in arts, education or craft diplomas and many other fields.
It is one of the most commonly obtained degrees by students who do not want to continue their education and obtain higher grades. The duration of the bachelor’s degree is 4 years or more, depending on the specialization. There are many disciplines, including pharmacy, medicine, engineering, arts, business and management, fine arts, information technology, media, philosophy, psychology, law, tourism, and others.
A bachelor’s degree allows a student to gain sufficient education and prepare for professional fields. However, higher positions in some fields such as psychology and pharmacy may require a master’s or doctoral degree.
A master’s degree is a postgraduate degree. After you have studied at the university for 4 years or more in specialization and obtained a bachelor’s degree, you can start a master’s degree. A master’s degree gives you an opportunity for academic and career advancement. The student is awarded a master’s degree after intensive study and scientific research in the specialty he chose.
A master’s degree takes one to two years to complete; This period varies according to the academic specialization. A master’s degree requires students to finish their undergraduate study and most universities have a minimum GPA requirement, in addition to an entrance exam. To graduate successfully with a master’s degree, you need a project which will vary depending on the college you attended.
The most popular specializations in the master’s degree:
Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Engineering, Master of Law, Master of Public Administration, Master of Philosophy, Master of Medicine, Master of Applied Arts, and many more.
After two years of research, education, study, and obtaining a master’s degree; Now you can start the process of obtaining a doctorate which follows a master’s degree, and this requires specialization in a specific field of study.
A doctoral degree is considered the highest degree in previous degrees, some universities may require applicants to complete a master’s degree before enrolling in this degree.
Doctoral is divided into two parts, the scientific doctorate, which specializes in research in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. In addition to an honorary doctorate, which is awarded to global figures who positively impact the world, in appreciation of their efforts.
Advantages of getting the highest Academic degree
- Obtain the most important positions.
- Get a high salary.
- The possibility of being promoted more quickly and more efficiently between positions.
- Cultural and scientific excellence in practical life.
The difference between a diploma and a higher diploma in academic degree
Diploma: This certificate is the least of the university degrees in terms of curricula and the duration of study required to obtain the degree, which is two years. This depends on the type of study that the student specializes in. It is important to note that the diploma is obtained after studying different industries and crafts.
Higher Diploma: This is the level of study that joins postgraduate studies. After the student finishes his studies at the university and obtains various types of academic degrees, he can continue in his field of study through postgraduate diplomas, and these diplomas need to be studied for one or two years.
The difference between a diploma and a bachelor’s degree
- The duration of each course is the difference between a diploma and a bachelor’s degree.
- A diploma takes 1 to 2 years while a bachelor’s degree takes 3 to 4 years.
- Diplomas may not be recognized worldwide and not be enough to advance your career. A bachelor’s degree is internationally recognized and can help students pursue higher education or get a job.
- Diplomas focus more on developing a student’s practical skills, while a bachelor’s degree is more comprehensive, focusing on theoretical academic knowledge.
- A diploma can be awarded by an institute, college, or even a university. But a bachelor’s degree can only be awarded by the university.
Academic degree codes
- Bachelor of Arts stands for BA.
- BAS stands for Bachelor of Applied Science.
- The Bachelor of Architectural Engineering stands for BARCH.
- The symbol BM. stands for Bachelor of Medicine.
- The Master of Fine Arts stands for MFA.
- The PhD in Education is denoted by EdD.
- After obtaining a doctorate in the Faculty of Dentistry, you are denoted by the holder of the DDS.